We’ve helped generations of clients buy and sell their homes and are proud of our unrivalled reputation of excellence.
Our award winning residential conveyancing service is provided from both our Thame and Princes Risborough offices, helping clients buy and sell their homes in Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and across the UK. So whether it’s your first home, new home or retirement home you’ll be in safe hands.
At both our Thame office and Princes Risborough office, you will have a dedicated, experienced and qualified Property Lawyer acting on your behalf from day one until the day of completion. You will be provided with their direct line and email address so you can keep in direct contact.
We understand that every client’s needs are different, so we tailor our service to meet your individual requirements. For those busy with work, children and life in general, we can offer you our Conveyancing Portal where you will be able to access, complete and upload your forms and keep track of the progress being made on your file. Identification and Money Laundering Checks can all be completed through our dedicated app, without having to leave the house! For those who prefer to do things the old fashioned way, we welcome you to call us or come in and have a chat about your requirements, where we will be happy to assist you with completing paperwork, certify your ID and answer any queries you have.
Selling a property can be stressful, particularly if you are eager to secure another home at the same time or selling as an Attorney or Executor for somebody else. No matter what your circumstances are, our specialist Property solicitors will be there to ensure the transaction goes through as smoothly and stress free as possible.
We will provide you with a free no obligation quote, tailored to your needs. We have no hidden costs and do not charge any extra fees for dealing with any existing mortgage or other charge on the property.
So what happens next?
- THE BEGINING Your Estate Agent will send us the Sales Memorandum so we can set up your file and send you our Client Care Letter and instructions on what information we need from you.
- CONTRACT PACK We will prepare a Contract Pack and send this to your buyers’ solicitor. This will include information on the title to the property and other relevant information.
- ENQUIRIES The Buyers’ solicitor will raise any enquiries they feel necessary and we will deal with these with your assistance where necessary.
- MORTGAGE If you have a mortgage or other charge on the property, we will arrange for a redemption figure to be obtained and will arrange for this to be redeemed on completion.
- SIGNING At this stage, we will report to you with the Contract, Transfer Deed and any other relevant documents to sign and return.
- EXCHANGE OF CONTRACTS Once a completion date has been agreed and all parties are ready, we will exchange contracts with the Buyers’ solicitor. You will now be legally committed to sell the property.
- GETTING READY TO MOVE Once exchanged you are free to book your removals and start packing! You will be sent a final completion statement setting out the balance of funds due to you or to be transferred to a related purchase transaction.
- COMPLETION The day of completion is the day we receive the balance of sale proceeds from your Buyers’ solicitor and the keys are handed over to them. We will pay your Estate Agent’s fees and redeem any mortgage or other charge on the property.
Buying a property can be both an exciting time in your life but also a stressful one. Our specialist Property Lawyers work with you to ensure that the transaction proceeds as smoothly and stress free as possible. Whether you are a first time buyer or adding to your property portfolio, we will be with you every step of the way.
We will provide you with a no obligation quote, tailored to your needs. We have no hidden costs and do not charge any extra fees for acting on behalf of your lender.
So what happens next?
- THE BEGINNING Your Estate Agent will send us the Sales Memorandum so we can set up your file and send you our Client Care Letter and instructions on what information we need from you.
- ENQUIRIES The Seller’s solicitor will send us the Contract Pack, which we will review and raise any additional enquiries.We will order your searches at this stage.
- MORTGAGE If you are obtaining a mortgage we will liaise with your lender, review their mortgage offer and report to you on it.
- REPORTING Upon receiving satisfactory replies to our additional enquiries and the results of our searches we will send you our Final Report.
- SIGNING At this stage, we will ask you to return your signed Contract and other documents, provide us with your deposit and advise on your preferred completion date.
- EXCHANGE OF CONTRACTS Once a completion date has been agreed and all parties are ready, we will exchange contracts with the Seller’s solicitor. You will now be legally committed to purchase the property.
- GETTING READY TO MOVE Once exchanged you are free to book your removals and start packing!You will be sent a final completion statement and we will request any balance of funds from you.
- MOVING DAY! The day of completion is the day that we send the balance of funds to your Seller’s solicitor and you get to collect the keys and move into your new home!
- FINISHING TOUCHES Whilst you settle into your new home and wonder where on earth you packed the tin opener, we will be paying your stamp duty and submitting our application to the Land Registry to register you as the new owners of the property.
Whether you’re remortgaging to get a better deal, to consolidate debts or to release some equity in your home, we can assist you in making the transaction as stress free as possible.
Lightfoots are proud to be on the Solicitors Panels for all major lenders and most smaller and specialist lenders too. We are therefore able to act for both you and your lender to ensure the transaction proceeds smoothly and swiftly.
What is the Process?
The remortgage process is usually a lot quicker than a sale or purchase. The following steps will be undertaken:-
- Initial Instructions – We will take your initial instructions, carry out ID and Anti Money Laundering Checks and ask you to provide us with details of the property and any current mortgage/charge on it.
- We will obtain a redemption figure from any current lender and check for any early repayment fees.
- We will check the Title to the property to ensure it meets your new lender’s requirements. This includes the Lease and the term of years left on it if the property is Leasehold.
- Some lenders may require us to carry out searches on the property including a Local Authority Search and Environmental Search. Most lenders are happy to accept an Indemnity Insurance Policy in place of searches. We will notify you of your lender’s requirements.
- Your new Mortgage Offer will be sent to us, including the results of the Lender’s valuation. We will review the offer and report to you on it. We will at this stage ask you to sign the Mortgage Deed.
- Once we are satisfied that the property is suitable for the lender to lend against, we will report to them and ask them to release the mortgage funds. These usually take at least 5 working days to be released from requesting them.
- Once funds have been released, we will pay off any existing mortgage, together with any legal fees and disbursements. Any balance due to you will be sent to you that day.
- We will apply to the Land Registry to ask them to amend the title to reflect the changes and will send you a copy of the updated title once received from them.
It may be necessary to change the ownership status of a property, without selling it. This is known as a Transfer of Equity.
What is Equity?
Equity is the value of the property less the sum due to any lender that holds a charge on the property.
When would a Transfer of Equity be used?
A Transfer of Equity can be used in a number of situations including:-
- Removing an ex-partner from the title to the property
- Adding a new partner onto the title to the property
- Change the percentage of shares that one or more co-owners hold
- Buying out one or more co-owners
- For tax purposes
What is the Process?
- You will be required to undertake our standard Identity and Anti Money Laundering Checks which can all be done on our handy app from the comfort of your own home.
- Your lawyer will review the title to your property to check for any charges or restrictions which may affect the transaction.
- A Transfer Deed will be prepared and sent to the existing and new owners to sign in the presence of a witness.
- If the value of the transaction is over £40,000, then a Stamp Duty Land Transaction Return will be needed and Stamp Duty may be payable.
- If there is a mortgage currently on the property, unless this is being repaid on completion of the Transfer, the Lender will be required to provide their consent to the Transfer of Equity.
- The Transfer Deed will be registered at the Land Registry to update the Title Deeds with the new ownership status.
It is common to Transfer Equity and Remortgage a property at the same time. Please see our guide to remortgages above.
Very good service. I have used Lightfoots multiple times for house purchase/sale. A good experience in every case. Great communications, competitive prices and seamless experience. Good relationships with estate agents. Highly recommended.
MC – Lightfoots Client
Lightfoots have been absolutely brilliant through every step of my house move. Extremely helpful and fantastic service. I couldn’t recommend them enough!
Laura – Lightfoots Client
The service we received was fast, efficient and effective, but above all we felt that our solicitor was trustworthy and was doing the best for us as her clients. I would definitely use them again and would recommend Lightfoots to friends and family unreservedly.
Sharon – Lightfoots Client
They were great communicators throughout the process. Easily contactable via phone, emails responded to in good time. Friendly service without the legal speak, they made it easy to understand the process.
Malcolm – Lightfoots Client
Lightfoots made buying our first house easy. Maria provided an excellent, thorough, and highly professional service. Deana and Nicola also helped make the process so smooth.
Lloyd – Lightfoots Client
I was really happy with the service they’ve provided, I would definitely recommend them to my family and friends.
Abdul – Lightfoots Client
Lightfoots and in particular Chris Biggs and his team continue to offer unrivalled legal support. The Conveyancing service that I use is highly efficient… I have never had better!
Adrian – Lightfoots Client
Top notch service! Really pleased to have the Lightfoots team by my side on the rollercoaster of buying a flat. Big thank you!
Alex – Lightfoots Client
Lightfoots dealt with my conveyancing when I bought my brother out of my late mother’s property. They were polite, efficient and professional at all times. I can’t recommend them highly enough.
Sarah – Lightfoots Client